Monday, September 22, 2008

A beautiful poem from Chile

A few days ago I received a very nice comment directly from Chile. Maritza Barreto wrote the following:

DEAR PATRICK
I´M A CHILEAN WOMAN AND TO ME ARRIVED YOUR BLOG. CONGRATULATIONES IT IS WANDERFULL. I WANT SEND YOU A POEM FOR YOUR BLOG.
Wish you peace...

Maritza sent me a poem of hers, but since I do not understand Spanish, I first asked my friend Stephen Cachia to read it and write me a short summary to describe it.
Stephen Cachia likes it so much that he even translated it in English!
So, thanks to Maritza from Chile and to Stephen from Malta... readers can appreciate this beautiful poem in both Spanish and English.

SPANISH VERSION:


La roca y la espuma
La ola y la arena
El invisible diseño que dibujas en el aire cuando vuelas
y mi precaria existencia de barca a la derivate proclaman
emperador de los mares
a ti
pelícano milenario

Lllevas en tus alas inscrito el secreto del universo.
Hasta el océano grandioso
empequeñece
y se hace espejo por
duplicar el esplendor de tu vuelo.
El aire que rasgas,
seda celeste,
cruje
gime
suavemente
con tu vuelo silencioso

y el viento de las alturas peina tus plumas prehistóricas.
Mas tú
sereno
entrecierras los ojos de membranas recibiendo la brisa placentera
que acaricia tus alas elegantes
Ni siquiera te agitas
E ignoras sabiamente
la humana emoción que me conmueve


ENGLISH VERSION:

The rock and the foam
The wave and the sand
The invisible design that you draw in the air when you fly
and my precarious existence of lost boat
proclaim you
emperor of the seas
you, oh pelican of the thousand years.

You carry in your wings the secret of the universe inscribed
Even the grand ocean
becomes small
and turns into a mirror
duplicating the splendour of your flight.
The air which you scratch
celestial silk,
crunches
moans
softly
with your silent flight.

and the wind of your heights combs your prehistoric feathers.
But you,
serenely,
lock your membrane eyes
receiving the placental breeze
that caresses your elegant wings,
you never move,
and wisely ignore
the human emotion that moves me so

Note to Maritza: Your poem is beautiful. It also gives me a sense of wide spaces and freedom. I'd like to interview you for my blog regarding the place where you live, you as a person and your relationship to poetry, nature and other things. (Patrick)

No comments: