Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Poems from Spiros Karamountzos - Greece


My friend and poet from Greece, Zacharoula Gaitanaki, has sent me the following short biography and poems of yet another contemporary Greek poet. I know that many people follow my blog because they like reading about other writers and poets, not only from Malta, but also worldwide. So thanks again Zacharoula for sharing with us all the poems of this new poet.


SPIROS KARAMOUNTZOS is a famous Greek poet and author. He was born in Karya, a village in Argolida. He was a teacher of the elementary education. Now, he is retired.
He is a member of the “Greek Writers Society”, of the “International Writers Association” (I.W.A.) and of the “World Poets Society” (W.P.S.).
His poems have been translated into English and have appeared in national and foreign Anthologies. His writing has received awards from national and international poetry competitions.
He has published the book “WORDS of KARYA” with memories of his village and the collections of poetry: “HALCYONS” (2000), “STROKES OF THE BOW” (2004), “DEWDROPS” (2006) and “SHEDDING OF LEAVES” (2006).

e-mail: spiros_karamountzos@yahoo.gr


Poems by SPIROS KARAMOUNTZOS


THE POET

Now, that you planted on the earth
seeds with your name,
poet, what else do you want?
Reflect on the harvest time.


THINGS OF THE PAST

High up in the sky I look the cloud
and I ask it about you
but it weeps
when it speaks about the past.


SECURITY

Don’t tread well on wood
and don’t make a new friend
before you are sure enough
with your mind and your eyes.


THE TARGET

I try to sing
the great of the “modest”
and in time that I beat
I always step on the ground.

SHEDDING OF LEAVES

Mind’s shedding of leaves
in the hour of nightfall,
signs of the sky
to tell you: Go on !

LOVE

As long as the small
hanging oil lamp sheds a light
on the altar of love,
children and the young
can’t have a pale face.


MY GREAT FRIEND

My great and dearest friend,
you are a sprig of basil
and must cuts well the sword
of the young man
who will marry you.


THE SWALLOW

The swallow of the old days
found a solution
for the home coming,
with art makes its nest
to return.


THE VIOLIN

A few more strokes of the bow,
with the same violin
I’ll play and I’m sorry
if I was very tedious.


SPIROS KARAMOUNTZOS

English translation by Zacharoula Gaitanaki.

No comments: